Nationally we have a housing crisis. The charity "Shelter"has estimated that 320,000 people do not have a home to live in across the UK. In order to help meet the demand of homes for everyone we are considering different options from building more homes to utilising empty properties.
As Portsmouth is an island, and spare land a premium, building more housing can be difficult. Therefore identifying empty properties to bring back into use, it is felt, will
- benefit those who are need of a home
- improve the local community and continue to help it thrive
- helps the freeholder of the empty property realise their properties full potential
What is an empty property?
In Portsmouth, an empty residential property is one that has not been lived in for more than 6 months.
What problems can they cause?
An empty property can:
- Attract anti-social behaviour
- Cause concern with the gardens becoming overgrown
- Potentially allow free movement for pests
- Attract rubbish in front forecourt where fly tipping can occur
- Cause disrepair to attached properties on party walls
If you have an empty property we can
- Provide a low interest empty residential property loan to carry out necessary repairs to bring a property back to use (this is applicable for properties that have been empty for more than 12 months)
- Provide you with the information to support you with the decision to sell or rent the property
- Manage the property for you - simply sign it over to us and become part of our leasing scheme
If you do not live local, or are struggling with the idea of trying to manage the property, you can sign it over to the Council completely through our Rent it Right leasing scheme. This way you get an income every month without any worry about renting the house.
How do I get in touch?
If you have an empty property you can contact us by using our online form, call us on 02392 688 369 or email [email protected].
Alternatively, download the "My Portsmouth" App, by going to Google Play Store or Apple Store and search for My Portsmouth.
Meanwhile, here is further information on you liability in regard to Council Tax and what you can apply for to reduce the costs of bringing your property back into use for example Reduced VAT.